Sunday, March 30, 2014

Have You Ever Worried?

Meet Wemberly the mouse.  She worries about several things.  Find out by watching Wemberly Worried By: Kevin Henkes


Wemberly Worried is a story about a young mouse that worried throughout the day.  She worried about big and little things.  She worried morning and night.  She worried about rubbing the ears off her stuffed rabbit, Petal.  Wemberly worried about the noise that came out of the radiator, and if the tree would fall in the back yard.  Wemberly worried so much, that her parents would tell her that she worried too much.  

Soon, Wemberly had something new to worry about.  School was about to start, and Wemberly's list of worries grew.  She worried,"What if I don't know anybody?  What if the room smells bad?  What if I hate the snack?  What if I have to cry?  What if I can't find the bathroom?"  All of these worries consumed Wemberly on the way to school her very first day.  Her parents tried to console her on their way to the school.  When Wemberly arrived, her teacher introduced her to another little mouse named Jewel.  Jewel was standing across the room with her stuffed cat in her arms.  Wemberly and Jewel looked at each other, and began to have a conversation.  By the end of the day, Wemberly and Jewel became friends, and Wemberly's list of worries was shortened.

Wemberly Worried is a book that all students can relate or make a connection to.  All students experience the first day of school, and the unknowns of new school year. This book is a wonderful text to teach "Making Connections".  After reading the text, the teacher can instruct the students on  how to make text-to-self connections by asking these questions: “When I read these words… it reminded me of…”or “When I saw the picture… it made me think…” The student's responses can be listed on a chart. Later, students can write two sentences, and answer one of the questions above.

Below is a picture of Logan and Vala the day they started a brand new school:
They both felt some of the same emotions that Wemberly felt.  Logan and Vala can make a connection to this text.  They remember their emotions and worries, and in turn identify with Wemberly.

Below is Vikeshia's story:





"I am Vikeshia, and this was my first day of school. I was very
nervous, and worried about my new teacher and friends.
When I arrived however, my teacher  introduced me to
another student name Kyah. She was also a student with a learning
disability like me.  Kyah was crying, because she did not want
 her mom to leave her. After going over to console her, we
became instant friends, and enjoyed our first day of school.
 We realized, like Wemberly, that school was fun, and there was no
 need to worry."


Wemberly Worried is a text that everyone can identify with.  This story provides a great way to teach and model a comprehension strategy called 'Making Connections'.  I have felt the emotions myself, when I began Georgia Southwestern State University.  My children also worried when they began their first day of their new school.  I try to remember that most of the things I worry about never happen.  A wise proverb says, 'Do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.' I also remind my children of the same thing just as Wemberly's parents." Heather Coleman



"As a teacher, I would use this story during the first week of school. I would explain to students about how they might worry, especially the first week of school. Beginning school can be difficult for some students.  After reading this story, I would have students brainstorm strategies to lower their anxiety." **Cassandra



Making Connections lesson plan source:
http://www.readinglady.com/mosaic/tools/Marisa'sSchemaMakingConnectionsLessons.pdf




1 comment:

  1. I think this would be an amazing book to teach children about making connections because everyone worries about something at one point in their life. Children are always worried about something whether is it about having no friends from worrying about a special toy. I also think that this would be an amazing book to show at the beginning of the school year because every child is worried about the students in their classroom and about their new teacher. This would also be a good book to show the students when you get a new student in your classroom.

    I think your activity would be a wonderful activity for children.

    I loved your blog!!!!!!

    Katie Lowery

    ReplyDelete